Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Ed Sheeran (7) – Week Of March 25, 2017

Hey guys! Kid Kelly hosted the countdown yet again. Spyder Harrison needs to seriously stop being "sick" if it means we have this guy hosting. I mean, he's not bad. But he's a little hard to understand with the speed at which he speaks. I much preferred when the Morning Mash Up hosted at some point. But now Kid Kelly has become the go-to guest host for the countdown when Spyder is out. Oh well. Before we get to this week's Fresh 45, here are the songs we're saying goodbye to this week.


  • John Legend – Love Me Now (#45)

Last Week's #1 Song: Ed Sheeran – Shape Of You
The Countdown
45. Daya – Words (#44)
44. X Ambassadors – Unsteady (#43)
43. Bebe Rexha – I Got You (#42)
42. Coldplay/Beyoncé – Hymn For The Weekend (#41)
41. DJ Snake/Justin Bieber – Let Me Love You (#26)
40. Noah Cyrus/Labrinth – Make Me (Cry) (#31)
39. James Hersey – Miss You (#24)
38. Maroon 5 – Don't Wanna Know (#39) [3 Weeks At #1]
37. Ariana Grande/Nicki Minaj – Side To Side (#37)
36. Niall Horan – This Town (#38)
35. Bruno Mars – 24K Magic (#40)
34. Panic! At The Disco – L.A. Devotee (#36)
33. The Weeknd/Daft Punk – Starboy (#33)
32. Alessia Cara – Scars To Your Beautiful (#25)
31. Clean Bandit/Sean Paul/Anne-Marie – Rockabye (DEBUT)
30. Twenty One Pilots – Heavydirtysoul (#32)
29. Shawn Mendes – Treat You Better (#29) [2 Weeks At #1]
28. Rihanna – Love On The Brain (#35)
27. Imagine Dragons – Believer (#30)
26. AJR – Weak (#22)
25. Panic! At The Disco – Death Of A Bachelor (#23)
24. The Weeknd/Daft Punk – I Feel It Coming (#20)
23. James Arthur – Say You Won't Let Go (#11)
22. Jon Bellion – All Time Low (#27)
21. Julia Michaels – Issues (#19)
20. Twenty One Pilots – Heathens (#21) [2 Weeks At #1]
19. Steve Aoki/Louis Tomlinson – Just Hold On (#18)
18. Adele – Water Under The Bridge (#9)
17. Kygo/Selena Gomez – It Ain't Me (#14)
16. Lady Gaga – Million Reasons (#8)
15. Katy Perry/Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (#10)
14. Train – Play That Song (#13)
13. Zedd/Alessia Cara – Stay (#16)
12. Maroon 5 – Cold (#3)
11. The Chainsmokers – Paris (#12)
10. Linkin Park/Kiiara – Heavy (#34)
  9. Bruno Mars – That's What I Like (#5)
  8. Fitz & The Tantrums – HandClap (#17)
  7. Zayn/Taylor Swift – I Don't Wanna Live Forever (#4)
  6. Ed Sheeran – Castle On The Hill (#15)
  5. Hailee Steinfeld & Grey/Zedd – Starving (#27) [How is this even okay???] {4 Weeks At #1}
  4. The Chainsmokers/Halsey – Closer (#2) [8 Weeks At #1]
  3. Shawn Mendes – Mercy (#6)
  2. Machine Gun Kelly/Camila Cabello – Bad Things (#7)
  1. Ed Sheeran – Shape Of You (#1) [7th Week At #1]

#1 Song This Week One Year Ago: Charlie Puth – One Call Away

Biggest DROP!!!... Of The Week: Tie Between DJ Snake/Justin Bieber – Let Me Love You and James Hersey – Miss You (–15)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Linkin Park/Kiiara – Heavy (+24)

New Entrants
~ Our lone new entrant this week comes from Clean Bandit featuring Sean Paul and Anne-Marie with Rockabye. For those unaware, the song is about a child that's being raised by a single mother, which can definitely be tough at times. That being said, the song does have a very nice meaning behind it and I would expect that from Clean Bandit as opposed to a lot of other artists we have nowadays. And they even make it a fun song. The production is very good all throughout the song. Anne-Marie's vocals are reasonably good and Sean Paul's verse is pretty fun as well. Overall, it's a great song with a great message. It is a little late to the party. But I guess better late than never. Hopefully it does well.


Rockablurb
~ And Shape Of You continues to hold at #1. Thankfully, I do like this song unlike Thinking Out Loud from 2015. So I don't necessarily mind it being at #1. But at some point soon, it'll become a little too much.

~ Rising to #2 this week is Machine Gun Kelly/Camila Cabello  Bad Things. While I do have this song in green, it is reasonably close to being in blue. It's not exactly a song I want to see at #1. But it wouldn't be the end of the world if it did reach that spot.

~ The Chainsmokers/Halsey – Closer is somehow still in the Top 5. I'm beyond shocked that I am not sick of this song yet. It is still a fun song to jam out to. But my goodness has it been here for a long time. Why don't we give some other songs a chance?

~ I have been an active Hits 1 listener for about four years now and I've blogged for about three and a half years. I've seen a lot of bogus shit happen on this countdown. This week, we had a certain song jump all the way back into the Top 5 when it really shouldn't still be here. It is definitely one of the most obnoxious things that has happened on this countdown in a while and probably one of the most obnoxious things ever during my four years of listening to this station. Hits 1, please fix this.

~ Ed Sheeran – Castle On The Hill is now in the Top 10. Not surprising. Hits 1 just can't get enough of Ed Sheeran. I'll admit that because of how much Shape Of You has been played, Castle On The Hill is now the better of the two songs. We'll see how long that lasts.

~ Hits 1 must've read my comment last week on how Linkin Park/Kiiara – Heavy seemed to be flopping, especially when Linkin Park's previous song, A Light That Never Comes, reached #10 on the countdown. So they decided to give Heavy the same exact peak despite it not being as good as A Light That Never Comes (my opinion as this was my favorite song of 2013). I can't see this as a song that'll stay there long though.

~ Maroon 5 – Cold clearly did not last long in the Top 5. Last week when it jumped, I began to see it as a potential #1 song. Guess not. But thinking realistically knowing how much Hits 1 loves Maroon 5, this will be back up in the Top 5 at some point in the near future.

~ Goodbye John Legend – Love Me Now. You will be missed.

~ I apologize for the lack of blurbs. It's mainly so that I can get this post out as soon as possible.

~ The Hit 45 Chart for this week is also being worked on and will hopefully be out tomorrow though I'm not entirely certain.

Top 20 Review
0 – Crap:
20. Bruno Mars – That's What I Like
19. Hailee Steinfeld & Grey/Zedd – Starving

1 – Bad:
NONE

2 – Mediocre:
NONE

3 – Decent:
18. Zayn/Taylor Swift – I Don't Wanna Live Forever
17. Twenty One Pilots – Heathens

4 – Good:
16. Machine Gun Kelly/Camila Cabello – Bad Things

5 – Great:
15. The Chainsmokers – Paris
14. Ed Sheeran – Shape Of You
13. Zedd/Alessia Cara – Stay
12. Shawn Mendes – Mercy
11. The Chainsmokers/Halsey – Closer
10. Linkin Park/Kiiara – Heavy
9. Adele – Water Under The Bridge
8. Fitz & The Tantrums – HandClap
7. Steve Aoki/Louis Tomlinson – Just Hold On
6. Maroon 5 – Cold
5. Train – Play That Song
4. Kygo/Selena Gomez – It Ain't Me
3. Ed Sheeran – Castle On The Hill
2. Katy Perry/Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm
1. Lady Gaga – Million Reasons

Total Score: 85/100 = 85% (B)


Throwback Pick Of The Week: Gwen Stefani/Akon – The Sweet Escape

Most Missed Countdown Song: Cher Lloyd – With Ur Love

#1 Recommendation For Hits 1: Lindsey Stirling/ZZ Ward – Hold My Heart

Favorite Countdown Song This Week One Year Ago: 5 Seconds Of Summer – Jet Black Heart


My Top 5 Picks
1. The Weeknd/Daft Punk – I Feel It Coming
2. Lady Gaga – Million Reasons
3. Clean Bandit/Sean Paul/Anne-Marie – Rockabye
4. Jon Bellion – All Time Low
5. Katy Perry/Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm

My Bottom 5 Picks
1. Bruno Mars – That's What I Like
2. Noah Cyrus/Labrinth – Make Me (Cry)
3. Hailee Steinfeld & Grey/Zedd – Starving
4. Rihanna – Love On The Brain
5. X Ambassadors – Unsteady

50 comments:

  1. *sees orange pick* Geez, you must have seriously been jaded big time by Uptown Funk being overplayed, as this is the guy's third song to be in orange by you. Sad news for us Bruno Mars fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott, I am definitely happy with Adrian's #3 bottom pick.

      Delete
    2. For both That's What I Like and Starving, Miles probably won't be happy. For me, I love TWIL but Starving is old.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Good Time, Good Life was the only debut and it's sooooooooooo good. If it doesn't make the countdown, it will most definitely be my Lights Over Paris Award for 2017.

      Delete
    2. Good Time, Good Life debuted and Rockabye left. Besides that everything's the same.

      Delete
    3. That's good because I really want Touch to debut...it's such a good song and it would be their first song in the countdown since Black Magic.

      Delete
  3. Also, anyone notice anything unusual about this post of his? I'll give you a minute to figure it out.











    The answer? This is the first week since Hymn For The Weekend debuted that it is NOT in his Top 5. Dang, song must have been quite the thing to stay there that long for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that too, before your comment was posted.

      Delete
    2. I also noticed that before your comment was posted. It's probably going to be the same thing for me with This Town. Either that or he forgot that the songs was even on there.....

      Delete
  4. Top 5:
    1. Side To Side
    2. Bad Things
    3. Starving
    4. Paris
    5. HeavyDirtySoul

    Bottom 5:
    1.Unsteady
    2. Weak
    3. Love On The Brain
    4. 24K Magic
    5. Let Me Love You

    ReplyDelete
  5. With Ur Love was my favorite songs today, 4 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please vote in this poll! I am working on a Top 500 songs of this decade so far! I need votes to do this! The poll is long but it would definitely help me out a lot! Thank you!

    https://goo.gl/forms/ZuLRucER6taviYac2

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Hit 45 Chart is out!

    And for those of you who haven't, be warned....the biggest drop ever has been broken.

    http://markstop45songschart.blogspot.com/2017/03/julia-michaels-3-week-of-april-1-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is the first time this year that Adrian actually has a comment right next to a color-coded song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that too. Actually, I think it's been like 2 years since he's done that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

      Delete
    2. In 2014 he did it. In June 21, 2014, he told Radioactive, Sirens, & Counting Stars to leave.

      Delete
  9. Also, Adrian, could you add my personal chart on the other blogs section?

    http://markstop45songschart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I will be inactive during spring break (maybe) comment moderation will be turned off on my blogs until I go back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, there is a connection between the Weekend Countdown and the most played songs on Hits 1. Seriously, if I did an AirPlay Radar then compared to the Weekend Countdown it would nearly look identical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always use airplay to predict the WC each week.

      Delete
    2. Our server won't connect to DSR so I can't make a prediction this week.

      Delete
  12. http://mymusicreviewingblog.blogspot.com/2017/03/billboard-hot-100-4817-ed-sheeran-9.html

    BBH100 post is out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Recommendation to be a single: Galway Girl- Ed Sheeran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it already is a single. It's good but I'd prefer 5 or so other songs from the album to be singles.

      Delete
    2. Proof:
      https://twitter.com/edsheeran/status/842776539502690305

      Delete
  14. I love Galway Girl but I want New Man to be the next single!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Man is definitely one of my favorites off the album.

      Delete
    2. Agreed and Eraser must not be a single.

      Delete
  15. Awwwwww. Why is don't wanna know in red ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he did say when it debuted that he knew it wouldn't be surviving overplay. And sure enough, he was right.

      But hey, quite a few of us are pleased to see that (me, Miles and Montavis to name a few).

      Delete
    2. I didn't even notice that lol.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  16. Most Missed Song: The Chainsmokers/Daya - Don't Let Me Down
    Throwback Pick: Andy Grammer - Honey I'm Good (2015, IK it left under a year and a half ago.)
    #1 Recommendation For Hits 1: Alesso - Falling
    Recommendation HitBound Song For The Countdown: Erin Bowman - Good Time, Good Life (Erin Bowman is like Fifth Harmony, Ariana Grande, and Hailee Steinfield. I can guarantee you, this will most likely be my "2017 Lights Over Paris HitBound Award Winner" if it doesn't make the countdown.
    Recommended HitBound Dropout: MAX/Gnash - Lights Down Low (I've lost most of my interest in it even though I never really liked it.)
    Recommended Song To Leave Next Week: DJ Snake/Justin Bieber - Let Me Love You
    Recommended #1: Shawn Mendes/Camila Cabello - Bad Things

    NONE of these are April Fools jokes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when I mean next week, I mean 04/08/17.

      Delete
    2. And it's Machine Gun Kelly, not Shawn Mendes.

      Delete
    3. Maybe she got confused with IKWYDLS.

      Delete
    4. Sorry, and I did get confused with IKWYDLS.

      Delete
  17. AT40 Highlights: Flo Rida debuts, Katy Perry enters top 10, Ed Sheeran still at #1.

    Exits:
    x40. Cold Water
    x38. Not Nice (one week wonder)
    x36. Bad and Boujee*

    Entrants:
    40. Cake
    38. Scared to Be Lonely
    36. Slide*

    *Migos replace themselves on the countdown in the same spot.

    Biggest Jump: Green Light (39-25, 14 spots)

    With Cold Water leaving, Starving and Closer are now tied for the oldest song on the countdown.

    Stay, Everyday, and Something Just Like This all hit top 20 this week.

    Top 10:
    10. Chained to the Rhythm
    9. Rockabye
    8. Bad Things
    7. That's What I Like
    6. Mercy
    5. Paris
    4. I Feel it Coming
    3. Love on the Brain
    2. I Don't Wanna Live Forever
    1. Shape of You (5th week at #1)

    Breakouts:
    Swalla
    Run Up
    Play That Song

    Extras:
    Give Your Heart A Break
    Don't (Sheeran)
    My House
    Style

    Optional Extras:
    Down (Jay Sean)
    Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
    I Took A Pill In Ibiza
    Raise Your Glass

    ReplyDelete
  18. With much lateness, the Hit 45 Chart has finally been posted for this week!

    http://hit45chart.blogspot.com/2017/03/week-of-march-25-2017.html

    - Adrian Carrazco

    ReplyDelete
  19. Predictions For April 1, 2017
    Exit: Unsteady
    Entrant: Everyday
    Biggest Drop: Starving*
    Biggest Jump: Rockabye*
    #1: Bad Things*

    *This will most likely not be the song because DSR won't load.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The countdown from last weekend is finally out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kendrick Lamar and Thomas Rhett (with Maren Morris) have currently occupied the Top 2 on iTunes.

    Kendrick might be on his way to his first serious solo hit since Swimming Pools in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you haven't voted in my poll yet please do so! I would really like everyone on here to vote! So please vote!

    https://goo.gl/forms/ZuLRucER6taviYac2

    ReplyDelete