Saturday, December 20, 2014

A Special Hits 1 Post – 2014: A Year In Review

Wow. Just wow. What a year we had this year. We've had a lot of new music and overall, at least 75% of that music is good. Sure, we've had some bad songs. And we've had songs that make our ears bleed. I know I have. But I'll get to that in a bit. But first, we'll start with our breakout artists.

We've had A TON of breakout artists who debuted with #1 songs. Some were good, some were bad. I'm going to list all the breakout artists from this year. Please inform me if there are anymore than I put. This isn't completely accurate. So here we go.


  • Charli XCX
  • Iggy Azalea
  • DJ Snake
  • Nico and Vinz
  • Magic!
  • Tove Lo
  • Sam Smith
  • 5 Seconds Of Summer
  • Disclosure
  • Hozier
  • Meghan Trainor

Some of those artists have had #1 songs. Speaking of #1 songs, we've had a couple of songs spend quite a while in that #1 spot. And because of that, we did not have as many #1 songs as we did last year, unfortunately. As always, the majority of songs that hit #1 were good. I know there were a couple of random #1's that weren't popular anywhere else. But whatever. Here is a list of all the songs that hit #1 in 2014.


  • Taylor Swift – Shake It Off (12) [New All-Time Record]
  • Pitbull/Ke$ha – Timber (8) (9 Total)
  • OneRepublic – Counting Stars (7) (8 Total)
  • Bastille – Pompeii (5)
  • 5 Seconds Of Summer – She Looks So Perfect (4)
  • Maroon 5 – Maps (4)
  • Jason Derulo – Talk Dirty (2)
  • Imagine Dragons – On Top Of The World (2)
  • Sam Smith – Stay With Me (2)
  • Meghan Trainor – All About That Bass (2)
  • Taylor Swift – Blank Space (1)
  • OneRepublic – Love Runs Out (1)
  • Iggy Azalea/Charli XCX – Fancy (1)
  • Fall Out Boy – Young Volcanoes (1)

Although the countdown had a lot of good music. There was a lot of crap as well. A lot of that crap were songs that were good at some point, but got old because of radio overplay. (cough) Counting Stars (cough). But there were at least 5 songs this year that I did not like when they first debuted up to when they left. What's annoying is that some of these songs have had ridiculously long tenures. And I was annoyed whenever these songs came on the radio. So now, I present to you, the Bottom 5 Songs Of 2014 (#1 being worst).

Bottom 5 Songs Of 2014
5. Haim – The Wire
4. Jason Derulo/Snoop Dogg – Wiggle
3. Magic! – Rude
2. AJR – I'm Ready
1. Meghan Trainor – All About That Bass

Quite a few songs were on Hit-Bound this year, but never made it on to the countdown. I'd like to take time to recognize all those songs that weren't good enough to be announced by Spyder Harrison. Here are those songs. (Please Note: This list may not be completely accurate. There may be more songs I didn't know about.)

  • Calvin Harris/Ayah Marar – Thinking About You
  • Janelle Monae – Dance Apocalyptic
  • Chris Wallace – Keep Me Crazy
  • Peter Thomas/Betty Who – All Of You
  • Coldplay – Magic
  • The Chainsmokers – #SELFIE
  • Little Mix – Move
  • New Hollow – She Ain't You
  • Ellie Goulding – Beating Heart
  • 5 Seconds Of Summer – Kiss Me Kiss Me
  • Mayra Veronica – Mama Mia
  • Cris Cab/Pharrell – Liar Liar
  • Nicki Minaj – Pills N Potions
  • Pretty Reckless – Heaven Knows
  • Brantley Gilbert – Bottoms Up
  • Childish Gambino – 3005
  • Jake Miller – First Flight Home
  • Florida Georgia Line – Dirt
  • New Politics – Everywhere I Go (Kings and Queens)
  • Meghan Trainor – Title
  • Mary J. Blige – Right Now
  • Tiffany Houghton – Love Like That
  • Bebe Rexha – I Can't Stop Drinking About You
  • Magic! – Let Your Hair Down
  • Olly Murs/Travie McCoy – Wrapped Up

Now what I'm gonna do with those 23 songs is pick the best. Since CountdownRecap stopped blogging at the beginning of 2014, I'm gonna carry over what he did of his year end review posts and continue it for him. For the award of best song that hit Hit-Bound, but not the countdown, he called it the Lights Over Paris Hit-Bound Hero Award, in honor of Lights Over Paris (a band he clearly didn't like) who came out with a song called Turn Off The Lights a few years ago. The song made it on to Hit-Bound, but never graduated to the countdown. The song I'm about to announce is a song that I really liked. I liked it so much that I was sad when I found out that it didn't make it on to the countdown. So without further ado, here we go.

2014 Lights Over Paris Hit-Bound Hero Award Winner: Brantley Gilbert – Bottoms Up

Continuing to carry over CountdownRecap's awards, I'm gonna announce the song that made it big in the world, but of course, didn't debut on the countdown. Hits 1 did a pretty good job at picking out the majority of the hits this year while also picking out songs I most likely would've never heard before. There were a few songs that debuted on other countdowns that didn't on this one. But they didn't necessarily make it big. Songs like Lil Jon/Tyga – Bend Ova and Kendrick Lamar – I debuted on AT40, but not here. But it lasted on AT40 for only a few weeks. This award is called the Biggest Whiff Of The Year. So here we go

Biggest Whiff Of 2014: Jeremih/YG – Don't Tell Em

There were several songs that didn't necessarily make it big on Top 40 charts. What I'm going to do is announce the song that was somewhat popular, but if I asked a lot of people, they probably will tell me that they don’t know the song. I know some people know it. But it should've been a song everyone knows. It was originally going to be Shawn Mendes – Life Of The Party. But that song just debuted on Hit-Bound as I'm typing this. But here is the winner.

2014 Song That Should’ve Made It Big: Brantley Gilbert/Justin Moore/Thomas Rhett – Small Town Throwdown

Tenure Trophies
~ Let's admit it. We've quite a bit of songs with short countdown tenures. These were mainly from underrated artists like Hot Chelle Rae. But when it comes to the Most Hysterically Short Tenure, 4 songs tied at (obviously) one week.

Shortest Tenured Songs Of 2014 (one week):


  • DJ Snake/Lil Jon – Turn Down For What
  • Taylor Swift – Out Of The Woods
  • Taylor Swift – Welcome To New York
  • Bastille – Flaws

Now the longest tenure of 2014 is a little weird. I'm putting the song that had the longest tenure in the calendar year. Really Fall Out Boy – My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up) would be crowned for longest tenure as it did break the record for longest tenure (I think). But in the calendar year, the song I'm about announce had a ridiculously long tenure, even though it didn't last a full year. But it came pretty close.

Longest Tenured Song Of 2014: OneRepublic – Counting Stars (debuted: 11/16/13; left: 11/1/14)


45 comments:

  1. You said Counting Stars left 11/1/13. Don't you mean 11/1/14?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did. Thank you for pointing that out Riley.

      Delete
    2. Fixed it already! That was fast!

      Delete
  2. Didn't MKTO- Classic have the longest life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, Counting Stars had the longest tenure in the calendar year (January 2014 – December 2014).

      Delete
  3. Both Magic! Let Your Hair Down and Priory-Weekend I did not hear anywhere else.Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. #year of the butt
    1.you forgot about weekend leaving hit-bound and i heard it on the pulse
    2.yeah classic was a week away from a year
    3.whens your top 45 of 2014 coming out?
    4.vh1 named john legend's all of me as top song of 2014
    5.my top 5 of 2014
    5.pharrel-happy
    4.taylor swift-shake it off
    3.meghan trainor-all about that bass
    2.john legend-all of me
    1.iggy azalea/charli xcx-fancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? When was 3005 good? When was dirt red?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When 3005 left Hit-Bound, I left a comment saying how I was actually starting to like it.

      Delete
  6. So what do you guys think? What were your Bottom 5 Songs Of 2014? And what song do you think should've won the Lights Over Paris Hit-Bound Hero Award?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Lights Over Paris Hit-Bound Hero Award goes to....


      Childish Gambino - 3005

      with Cris Cab/Pharrell Williams - Liar Liar coming in second...I guess.

      Delete
  7. I agree that every song in the bottom 5 is really bad besides all about that base and wiggle.

    What is the lights over Paris hitbound award?

    On the countdown where you put your top 5 picks for hitbound you put superheroes and love me harder both at #3.

    Classic was a week away from1 year. Counting stars was 2.

    -Graham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, what a year we've had this year.
      Time flies when you're listening to Hits 1, am I right?
      Or Am I Wrong? (see what I did there?)
      I predict Blame will be #1 on your Top 45 chart! I just KNOW it will be!
      -Remy

      Delete
    2. The Lights Over Paris Hit-Bound Hero Award was explained above right after the list of Hit-Bound deserted songs.

      And again, Counting Stars had the longest tenure in the calendar year! Do you people not know what the calendar year is?!?!

      Delete
  8. Also, you forgot Rita Ora on your new artists thingymajigy.
    -Remy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita Ora wasn't a breakout artist this year because she has had music in the previous years.

      Delete
  9. Isn't Vance joy a breakout artist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vance Joy wasn't necessarily that much of a breakout artists where everyone knows who he is.

      Delete
  10. I never heard of Rita Ora and Vance Joy.Jack

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun fact: Dance With Me Tonight by Olly Murs has the rare distinction of being a song that has been on the Weekend Countdown during three calendar years.
    Why, you might ask?
    Dance With Me Tonight's original run lasted only one week in April, 2012.
    Then in late September of 2013, it re-entered the countdown, hit #1 for a week that December, and continued its run into the summer of 2014.
    So, Dance With Me Tonight has been on the Weekend Countdown in 2012, 2013, and 2014. Crazy, huh? If this song were to re-enter sometime next year, then it would just get weird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WAIT ARENT SHAWN MENDES AND THE VAMPS BREAKOUT ARTISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I have officially made my top 45 of 2014 and the top 10 of it mostly has songs from the first half of the year and i will post soon and 75% based on how it did in charts and 25% on my song opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There could possibly be quite a few people who don't know who Shawn Mendes is. Also, my Top 45 of the year will be based 100% on my opinion.

      Delete
  13. I like to call the songs that spend one week on the countdown members of the STAY ON FOR WHAT Club.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adrian im happy to say none of your bottom songs are on my top 45 chart of 2014 which is 100% song opinion and i made two charts one with 40% song opinion 60% chart summary and thatchos i get it but i dont get it

    ReplyDelete
  15. In my chart based on chart life you will see artists such as 5sos meghan trainor taylor swift sam smith and hozier in my Chart based on song opinion you will hear artists such as neon trees bastille pharrell jason derulo and aloe blacc

    ReplyDelete
  16. The lights over Paris award for me is coldplay-magic and its the award for song that made hit-bound but not the countdown

    ReplyDelete
  17. The award for song that should've made it big goes to capital cities-one minute more and magic!-let your hair down

    I dont think dont tell em is the biggest whiff because it made it far on the american top 40 i think its peak was number 6

    bottom songs of 2014
    1.AJR-I'm Ready
    2.Cher Lloyd-Sirens
    3.Zendaya-Replay
    4.Halsey-Ghost
    5.Magic!-Rude
    (6).Mary J Blige-Crapithy (sorry had to include this)

    As you can see mine and Adrian's are very different and undressed is definetly lances number 3,anaconda his number 2,and cra pithy his number 1 and the only thing mine and Adrian's have in common are rude which is lower in mine and I'm Ready which is higher in mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said you don't think Don't Tell Em is the Biggest Whiff because it made it far on AT40. That's exactly why it's the Biggest Whiff.

      Delete
    2. My bottom 5 is:
      5. John Legend/Tiësto- All Of Me
      4. Jason Derulo- Trumpets
      3. Kim Cesarion- Undressed
      2. Nicki Minaj- Anaconda
      1. Sam Smtih- Stay With Me

      Delete
  18. Wow i just noticed something there are 13 songs on my chart based chart that are on my chart based on song opinion lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. My Top 5 Least Favorite Songs of 2014
    1) I'm Ready- AJR
    2) Love Robbery- Kalin & Myles
    3) I Wanna Get Better- Bleachers
    4) Feel Good- Goldhouse
    5) Life's A Beach- Heymous Molly

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lights Over Paris award: First Flight Home- Jake Miller
    Contenders: Bottoms Up- Brantley Gilbert, Dance Apocalyptic- Janelle Monae, Title- Meghan Trainor, 3005- Childish Gambino, and Let Your Hair Down- Magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Childish Gambino – 3005 came in a close second for the Lights Over Paris Hit-Bound Hero Award.

      Delete
  21. ADRIAN YOU ARE A HUGE F****** LIAR WEEKEND IS STILL ON HIT-BOUND TAKE IT OUT NOW EVERYTHING ELSE LEFT BUT WEEKEND IS STILL ON HIT-BOUND NEVER JUDGE HIT-BOUN ON THE FIRST TIME YOU HEAR IT OK WAIT TILL IT'S ON DEMAND THEN LISTEN TO IT OK U BIG LIAR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah. Calm down. It's a simple mistake. Everyone makes mistakes.

      Delete
  22. Updated bottom songs of 2014
    5.Zendaya-Replay
    4.Taylor Swift-Shake it off (you know why)
    3.Halsey-Ghost
    2.Cher Lloyd-Sirens
    1.AJR-I'm Ready

    ReplyDelete
  23. WEEKEND IS ON HITBOUND!!!!!!!!!! ?????????????? :[ :[

    ReplyDelete
  24. listen to hit-bound on demand weekend is the last song and my lights over paris award is magic!-let your hair down and cris cab/pharrell-liar,liar (just like adrian)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I still have a question to why classic isn't the longest song on the countdown for 2014 whatdo u mean by calender year january 1-december 31???????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calendar year is Janurary 1 to December 31. Counting Stars had the longest tenure in that range of days.

      Delete
  26. I'm just gonna make an out-of-the-blue top 5 prediction this week:
    5. Geronimo
    4. Shake It Off
    3. Uptown Funk
    2. Blank Space
    1. Centuries

    Note: If Animals could drop to a number like #41 sometime soon, that would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welp...looking back on this post...I was almost right. I was unaware that T-Swizzle's flame was (and probably still is) yet to be put out.

      Delete
  27. I've been looking back at posts and there are more songs that left. It may not be all though

    One Direction-Fireproof

    Weird Al Yanovics-Word Crimes

    ReplyDelete